Rosetta Stone Discovered Near Egyptian Town of Rosetta
During Napoleon Bonaparte’s 1798–1801 Egyptian campaign, French forces fortified positions along the Nile Delta, including Fort Julien near the port of Rosetta (Rashid). On July 15, 1799, engineer officer Pierre-François Bouchard noticed a large black basalt slab inscribed with three scripts while supervising demolition work on an ancient wall. The stone bore a decree issued in 196 BCE by Ptolemy V in hieroglyphic, Demotic, and Greek scripts. French scholars immediately recognized its potential value for deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphs, which had remained unreadable for centuries. The artifact was later seized by British forces in 1801 and transferred to London.
